Overcoats keep you warm through the harsh winter, look slick over a suit and are easily wearable on the weekend to boot. It may be August, but it’s never too early to think about having a made to measure or bespoke version of one of these beauties made, so here’s a Savile Row tailor’s quick guide to finding and wearing best style of overcoat for you.
We advise most men to choose a mid-length coat as it is more flattering and balances out most physiques better.
- Always have your overcoat fitted or optimum flattery. One of our pet hates is seeing fabric unnecessarily flap around. So, consider a body coat which is a much closer fit with a fitted sleeve.
- Keep your look simple which will help your look stay timeless and choose a classic colour such as a camel or a navy and add a twist by choosing one with texture or added quirks to make it truly yours.
- For a casual look, choose a style with buttons that you can see over a fly from where the buttons are concealed. For some added style, you can choose a contrasting top or under collar, if you like to keep your stylish flair underwraps...
- Choose a roomier overcoat if you're wanting to wear layers (i.e.: Chunky knits) Add a contrasting textured or multi coloured scarf to add style and personality to your look.
- When choosing a fabric for your coat decide whether you wish for practicality (i.e a durable, heavier cloth) or a coat you'll wear less and therefore are happy to opt for a more luxurious fabric that will need more care.
- When trying on your new overcoat, do wear the clothes you intend to be wearing with it to make sure it'll be comfortable if you're wearing a suit underneath for example.
There are a few options to choose from, so it depends on where and when you’ll be wearing them (business, weekend, outdoors, commuting), and what you’ll be wearing them with.
These are lighter than classic overcoats, look trendy over work suits or with jeans or trousers on the weekend.
- It is showerproof and will therefore keep you dry from drizzle.
- It's both classic and fashionable, meaning your style will always be timeless.
- This style is particularly slimming if you wish to avoid a bulky Winter look.
These are a winter classic. They’re usually seen with concealed buttons and a velvet contrast collar at the top.
- A classic style that will last you for decades
- Comes in a wide range of fabrics and colours for versatility and a bit of fun
- This style works well with a variety of outfits
TOP TIP Give all of these designs a twist with a striking contrast colour under the collar for when it gets really cold and you can use the chance to show it off!
MADE TO MEASURE OVERCOATS
Made to measure overcoats are a wardrobe staple – invest once and you probably won’t ever need to upgrade (unless you want a new colour). With classic styling, quality fabric and a perfect fit, you’ll be sure to get years of wear and warmth from it.
Alexandra Wood made to measure coats start from £1,100 – £3,500 Our bespoke designs start at £2,950.
The process takes approximately 6-8 weeks.
We also have our overcoat range available from our online store