To ensure you look and feel great, particularly in the event someone starts taking photos of your frivolity or a friend drops by unexpectedly, we’ve put together a list of classic clothes you need in your wardrobe each summer. We’ve also had a look at this year’s summer trends for men and how you can interpret them if you are feeling adventurous.
We understand that you want to get dressed without fuss so you can spend as much time as possible, enjoying a glorious summer day. That’s why we recommend putting together a capsule wardrobe of sorts so that you can pick and mix an outfit and know you’ll look great with minimal effort. You will need:
- T-SHIRTS. ALWAYS HAVE A FEW CRISP WHITE, WELL-CITED, 100% PURE COTTON T-SHIRTS IN YOUR WARDROBE. IF THEY START LOOKING WORN OR GREY, PLEASE THROW THEM OUT AND BUY NEW ONES. POLO SHIRTS ALWAYS LOOK SMART, AND WE HAVE A FEW LOVELY MERINO WOOL OPTIONS THAT ARE AN EXCELLENT SOLUTION FOR COLDER DAYS OR IF YOU ARE HEADING OUT TO LUNCH.
- CHINOS. INVEST IN BOTH LONG CHINOS AND SHORT VERSIONS IN CLASSIC NAVY OR BEIGE. A WORD ON SHORTS – ENSURE THEY ARE TAILORED TO MID-THIGH ONLY. CARGO SHORTS, EVEN IF THEY ARE IN A CHINO STYLE FABRIC, ARE AN ABSOLUTE NO!
- LIGHT-WEIGHT DENIM JEANS. THESE CAN BE PAIRED WITH YOUR WHITE T-SHIRT OR POLO SHIRT FOR A LOOK THAT NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE.
- LINEN SHIRTS. THESE ARE A COOL SUMMER CLASSIC THAT CAN BE PAIRED WITH CHINOS. CHOOSE SHORT-SLEEVED OR LONG-SLEEVED DEPENDING ON YOUR PREFERENCE. WE LIKE TO CREATE LINEN SHIRTS WITH A BLEND OF LINEN/SILK/COTTON OR CHOOSE BAMBOO, AS LINEN CREASES EASILY.
- PRINTED SHIRTS. A SHIRT WITH A LIGHT HEARTED PRINT LIKE OUR MONET’S GARDEN SHIRT IS A GREAT WAY TO GET IN THE SUMMER SPIRIT. PAIR WITH JEANS AND LOAFERS FOR A SMART-CASUAL LOOK PERFECT FOR LUNCH AT THE PUB.
- LIGHT SPORTS JACKET. POP ONE OVER YOUR T-SHIRT FOR ZOOM CALLS OR OVER A BUTTON-DOWN SHIRT ON CHILLY EVENINGS. TRY OUR WIMBLEDON, PORTOFINO OR ST TROPEZ.
- MERINO KNIT. OUR UNPREDICTABLE SUMMER WEATHER MEANS YOU’LL STILL NEED TO WORK THOSE LAYERS. MERINO IS A BEAUTIFUL YARN THAT WORKS WITH YOUR BODY’S NATURAL TEMPERATURE TO KEEP YOU WARM AND IS NATURALLY MOISTURE-WICKING TO KEEP PERSPIRATION AWAY. WE RECOMMEND COLOURFUL VERSIONS LIKE THESE.
- YOU CAN’T GO PAST A PAIR OF RAY-BANS IN BLACK OR TORTOISESHELL – THEY SUIT MOST FACE SHAPES. THEY WILL KEEP YOUR EYES PROTECTED FROM THE SUN, AND CAN GENERALLY BE USED FOR PRESCRIPTIONS AS WELL.
- SHOES. HAVE A CLEAN PAIR OF FASHION TRAINERS OR PLIMSOLLS, AND SMART LEATHER LOAFERS READY IN YOUR WARDROBE. IF YOU ARE HEADING OFF ON HOLIDAY, A PAIR OF LEATHER SLIDES ARE PERFECT FOR AROUND THE POOL.
- BAG. THE CROSSBODY IS THE STYLE FOR SPRING/SUMMER 2020. THIS HANDS-FREE STYLE IS PERFECT FOR DAYS OUT IN THE CITY OR EXPLORING WHILE ON HOLIDAY. CHOOSE A SIMPLE LEATHER OR WELL-MADE SPORTY DESIGN.
We haven’t forgotten about work, either. If you are working in the office or taking business calls on zoom, a light-weight suit is perfect. A made-to-measure suit in your favourite colour will last you for many summers to come.
Summer trends for men – the good, the bad and the hideous
We’ll always turn to classic, timeless styles first, but there is often room to take inspiration from current trends to give a twist to your summer wardrobe favourites. That said, there are some trends that you should avoid at all costs.
Summer wardrobe trends to avoid:
The European catwalks for Spring/Summer 2020 delivered some rather unflattering trends that called on decades past including:
- SHORT-SLEEVED SHIRTS IN BRIGHT PATTERNS WITH LARGE CUBAN COLLARS.
- FLARED TROUSERS.
- OVERSIZED 1980S STYLE BLAZERS.
- RELAXED SUITING PAIRED WITH A T-SHIRT AND SANDALS OR CHUNKY SNEAKERS.
- HIGH-WAISTED 1940’S STYLE TROUSERS.
Summer wardrobe trends to consider:
Trends can be helpful for inspiration if you are looking for something different. However, regardless of what item of clothing you wear, it must suit your individual shape, style and personality.
- POCKETS ON EVERYTHING. POCKETS ARE GREAT FOR ADDING DETAIL, BUT I’D KEEP THEM SUBTLE RATHER THAN CARGO STYLE.
- SHALLOW DOUBLE-BREASTED OR NEO DOUBLE-BREASTED TAILORING WITH ONLY ONE BUTTON. THESE TRENDS GIVE A MORE RELAXED FEEL TO A DOUBLE-BREASTED SUIT. WE RECOMMEND KEEPING THE SUIT FITTED AND MODERN TO AVOID ACCIDENTALLY LOOKING LIKE YOU’VE STEPPED OUT OF THE 1980S.
- WIDE PINSTRIPES. THESE CAN LOOK GREAT, BUT AGAIN, KEEP THE SUIT STYLE FITTED AND MODERN, SO YOU DON’T LOOK LIKE YOU’VE DONNED A GANGSTER COSTUME.
- AUTUMNAL HUES IN SPRING. THIS SOUNDS ODD, BUT CAN BE SOOTHING AND APPROPRIATE, MAINLY IF YOU ARE OUT IN THE COUNTRY.
Dressing for summer shouldn’t mean reaching for the nearest cotton shirt, old t-shirt or pair of shorts hidden at the back of the wardrobe and then feeling like a mess. Buy beautiful, well-made basics and look after them and you’ll be enjoying summer in style for years to come.
Fancy a light-weight suit for summer? Book an appointment with our team to discuss your made-to-measure options. Book now.